IN-HOME SUPPORT SERVICES (IHSS)
IHSS is a California program administered by each county under the direction of the California Department of Social Services. IHSS provides in-home care services to those who are disabled and/or over 65 and have limited income.
- Home Bound Services: meals, cleaning and laundry
- Personal Care Services: bathing, dressing, grooming and feeding
- Paramedical Services: medications management, injections, excretory care
- Supervision: monitoring to prevent injury
- Transportation: includes to/from medical appointments
- SSI/SSP or Medi-Cal eligible
- Blind, disabled or over 65 years of age
- Unable to live without care
- Receive Medi-Cal with no share of cost (SOC) **
** Share of cost is based on earned income (salaries and wages) and unearned income (social security, disability payments, and other passive income). SOC varies for those with higher income.
Visit www.cdss.ca.gov or www.canhr.org to calculate your SOC.
How does IHSS calculate total hours per month received?
Monthly services are limited to 283 hours for the severely impaired and 195 hours for others. The County Social Services Agency performs a needs assessment at the time of application, yearly and whenever the recipient’s condition has changed.
The needs assessment includes all activities required for daily living; Walking, Bathing, Dressing, Eating, and Medication Management.